Probationary Members Courses
Quick Links In The Section
To become a full member of the NRA we require our Probationary Membership Course to be completed by:
- Those who are new to shooting and are not a member of a Home Office Approved Club
- Have been out of the Armed forces for more than 5 years,
These courses are officially open to any member of the target rifle shooting community, and include five separate Probationary Modules focusing on knowledge and safety taught in both theoretical and practical setting.
The modules must be taken independently and in order, and once completed will give you access to a Full NRA Membership.
Application for Probationary Membership consists of two simple steps:
Step 1: Apply to join as a Probationary Member – Click here to download a form
Step 2: Book Probationary Training sessions – We will contact you once application has been approved. Click here for course availability and dates
- Safety and Intro to Target Shooting,
- Safe Handling and Range Safety Regulations
- .22 and .357 Gallery Rifle shoot at 25 yds.
- Marksmanship Principles
- Minutes Of Angle
- Intro to sighting systems
- Basic firearm cleaning and maintenance;
- Full-bore shoot at 100 yds.
- Zeroing at 25 yards
- Target marking/butts duties
- Full-bore shooting at 100 & 600 yds
- .223 Scope sighted AR-15 (Straight pull)
- .303 Iron sighted Lee Enfield (Bolt action)
- .308 Vernier sighted Target Rifle (Bolt action)
- Basic positional techniques
- Target marking/butts duties; Range Office procedure
- Full-bore shooting at 600 & 1000 yds
- .308 Scope sighted F-TR Rifle (Bolt Action)
- Elevation and windage
- Scope adjustment
- Assessments for Shooter Certification Cards (SCCs)
- .22 and .357 Gallery Rifle Practical Assessment
- .308 TR and Scoped Rifle Assessment
- Written assessment
- “Where to next”; Competitive shooting events; specialist Skills Development courses and Club/Association leads.
Click here to download a Probationary Membership Application form and start your journey to Full NRA Membership!
Click here for course availability and dates
Please contact NRA Training for Probationary Training enquiries.Contact →
Step 1: Apply to join as a Probationary Member
Click here to download a Probationary Membership Application form
Please complete this and send to NRA Membership, only by post or in person.
National Rifle Association
National Shooting Centre
Once your Probationary Membership form has been processed and your referee forms have been received and checked, you can then book your training sessions. We will contact you at this point with the Probationary Membership Booking Request Form and current course availability. Please note we cannot accept course bookings before your probationary membership application has been approved and a membership number has been issued
Please contact membership / 01483 797 777 ext 138 for Membership enquiries.
Step 2: Book Probationary Training sessions
Once your Probationary Membership application has been approved and you have been emailed with your membership number you will be contacted by a member of the training team who will provide you with the Probationary Membership Booking Request Form: this will show up to date availability and allow you to select your dates for training from a variety of Friday, Saturday and Sunday sessions. We recommend completing training within 3 months of attending Module 1, however with sufficient revision between sessions the 5 Modules can be reasonably spread across up to 6 months.
Probationary Members’ training is made up of five compulsory full day modules which must be taken in numerical; order (1,2,3,4,5). All Modules include a combination of classroom and practical range sessions: firearms and ammunition are inclusive in the price making it excellent value at under £100 per session.
Click here for course availability and dates
Please contact NRA Training or call 01483 797 777 ext 149 for Probationary Training enquiries.
Probationary Membership fee for 2018 is £83.00.
This includes all checks and referencing along with full membership up until the end of the year from the point you have completed both your 3 month minimum probationary period and passed your Module 5 Assessment day.
Course fees are £99 per module, totaling £495. Under 25s benefit from a generous 40% discount; this brings the U25 fees to £59.40 per module, totaling £297.
NRA Members Benefits
NRA Member Benefits
NRA Support, Advice & Discounts
- Liaison with police on Firearms queries and FAC applications, renewals and visitor permits
- Support for range application and safety certificates
- Reduced entry fees for NRA meetings
- Comprehensive insurance cover
Training, Development & Events
- Training courses including RCO and Club Coach
- Exclusive NRA member training fees
- Regional support to deliver club training
- Accreditation of club training courses
- Full calendar of competitions open to NRA members
- Access to and help from regional representatives throughout the UK
- Regional training officers to deliver courses throughout the UK
NRA Journal & Communications
- NRA Journal 4 times per year which includes shooting news, results and articles
- Monthly e-zine communication keeping you up to date with the latest news from the NRA
- Hire targets at the world famous Bisley camp
- Hire of firearms by the day from the NRA, within provisions of the Firearms Act
- Shoot at ranges up to 1200 yards
- Eligible to register for the NRA Shooting Club